Any woman who is a member of Wish is eligible to nominate themselves to join the Board of Trustees. Board meetings take place six times a year at the Wish Head Office in London. At the moment, we particularly welcome applications from women with financial or legal knowledge, women with experience of mental distress or the mental health system, and women from Black and Minority Ethnic backgrounds.
Community Link Volunteers
Volunteers form a vital part of the Community Link team, based in the Old St office, responding to the various needs of women all over Greater London. Volunteers work with a small caseload of women – mainly those who are newly-released, or who contact Wish in times of crisis.
Your role may encompass:
- providing face-to-face or phone support to women in crisis
- accompanying women to meetings with social services, probation or other agencies
- escorting women home from prison and attending court
- supporting women to become comfortable leaving the house or using public transport
- providing social contact – going to a café, park, cinema, sports, museums etc
You need to:
- be able to commit to at least one regular day a week
- have excellent ‘people skills’
- be a good listener
- be compassionate and non-judgemental
- be able to use your initiative and think creatively
- understand the need for confidentiality
- be able to handle difficult situations sensitively
- have a firm belief in women’s rights
- be a woman (we are a women-only organisation)
Wish recognises the importance of investing in good volunteers; some of our volunteers have been with us for more than a decade. You will have regular supervision and attend social events where all our volunteers exchange ideas and receive peer support. We also support volunteers with their wider careers, providing access to training, skills updates, interview preparation, references, and valuable work experience.
To apply please fill in the general volunteering application form below:
File is in Microsoft Word Format.
There may also be other opportunities to volunteer for Wish. There are various administrative tasks such as helping with mailouts and membership, and more specialised tasks such as research, marketing and fundraising. If you are interested in volunteering in any of these areas, you can contact the London office for further information, or download an information pack and application form below. It will be necessary to obtain a CRB disclosure before becoming a volunteer.
Files are in Microsoft Word format.